Home‎ > ‎

About

   SCHOOL PROFILE

School Year: 2013-2014 

School ID :

104552

School Name :

Balanga Elementary School

School Region :

REGION III

Division :

 BALANGA CITY

District :

 I-BALANGA EAST

School Type :

 Public

School Level :

 Elementary

Mother School :

-

Old Name :

-

Street/No. :

- J. P. Rizal St.

Barangay :

Talisay

Municipality/City :

Balanga City

School Head :

Jennifer G. De Guzman

Designation :

Principal II

Phone :

(047) 791-3619

Fax :

(047) 791-3619

 History of

        Balanga Elementary School

Located in the capital city of Bataan, the BES has already secured a permanent place in Philippine history as the place where the Allied Forces and the occupying Japanese troops formally signed the surrender of Bataan on April 9, 1942.

Signing on behalf of the Allied Forces was American Maj. Gen. Edward P. King while Col. Motoo Nakayoma, representing Lt. Gen. Masaharu Homma, signed for the Japanese the documents that signaled the Fall of Bataan.

The school was then the command post of Homma and a Japanese garrison. Following the surrender, with the words “Bataan has fallen” broadcast throughout the land, King and his surrender party remained in the school while the rest of the US Forces in the Philippines were rounded up and taken as prisoners of war (POWs).

April 9 began one of the most searing memories of World War II—the Death March where close to 80,000 American and Filipino combatants were made to walk from Mariveles, Bataan, through the eastern towns of the province, then Lubao and Guagua in Pampanga. During the long march, men died of disease, dehydration, starvation and exhaustion. It was only when the long procession reached San Fernando, Pampanga that survivors finally got on trains that would bring them to Camp O’ Donnell in Capas, Tarlac, where they were imprisoned.

Today, the Diwa ng Bataan marker, a representation of the historic signing of the surrender documents, serves as a permanent reminder of one of the darkest periods in Philippine history and of what earned BES its permanent place in the annals of WWII.

 

Modest beginnings

The historic school started as no more than a native hut of nipa, bamboo, sawali and a few pieces of lumber in 1611. In becoming the center of learning in Balanga with a student population that continued to grow, it underwent continuous transformation.

The main structure, a Gabaldon-type building, was built in 1900, when the Americans were firmly entrenched. Pablo Baens became known as the Father of Balanga Elementary School for his efforts to improve the school before World War II.

Rebuilt after the war, in 1946, it remained the premier public elementary school in the province. The local government and non-government organization HAS club worked together to preserve it as a historical site and initiated the installation of the surrender monument on April 9, 2005.

In 2003, the newly created City Division of Balanga held office in the main building until it got its own building in 2005 on an adjacent lot. With the opening of a secondary school behind the elementary school in July 2006, the Balanga Elementary School became Balanga Integrated School.

With the high school getting its own building after three years, the school, which now has more than 2,600 students, has regained its identity.

Soon, BES, through the Balanga City government, will have its own museum that will further showcase its important role in Philippine history.

 

 

 

 

Subpages (1): SBM
Comments